Saturday, April 2, 2011

EKHAYA REVISITED, LAND OF SHADOWS, A Film by Rina Sherman

EKHAYA REVISITED, LAND OF SHADOWS

A Film by Rina Sherman

BUY



Upon her return to South Africa after seven years of exile,

Rina Sherman made


a film about an Afrikaner rediscovering her country.



Exile, what exile?

Exile firstly brings to mind images of flight from physical danger that has become inescapable. Yet, in 1984, I left South Africa without any constraint from the authorities, at least not officially. The sanctions brought against me had been that of psychological intimidation and social exclusion. My exile is above all the result of rupture between an individual and her people, the Afrikaners. What begun as a gradual drifting apart culminated in rebellion when I realised there were only two options left : plunging into the abyss known to those who persisted in their opposition to government policy, or resigning to silence in the face of growing repression. A third option transpired as I looked down from the airplane circling above the urban sprawl of Johannesburg : "This is it, I'm out and I've left for good !"